I have a private practice in Skokie, IL where I offer individual and group counseling to help my clients develop a healthy relationship with food and their bodies, and to explore any emotional issues that interfere with living a fuller and more satisfying life. Because my training as a therapist includes the treatment of a wide range of problems, such as anxiety, depression, relationship, self-esteem and career issues, I can integrate our work on eating and weight issues with other concerns that you bring to counseling.
My approach to helping you end overeating is known as attuned or intuitive eating. Unlike dieting where you try to follow someone else’s plan or rules about food, attuned eating teaches you to use your own internal signals of hunger and fullness to guide your eating. After years of turning to food for all sorts of reasons that often have nothing to do with physical hunger, learning to listen to and trust your own body take practice and support. You will develop new skills to determine when, what and how much to eat, and learn new ways of coping with any emotions that cause you to turn to food. This approach to eating is both sustainable and life-changing!
The first step is to set up an initial consultation
where I can learn about:
- Your current concerns with eating, weight and body image
- Your history with dieting, overeating, weight, and other relevant issues
- Any other issues or concerns that you would like to explore in counseling
Our first meeting is also an opportunity for me to explain more about how I can help you solve the eating and weight issues that bring you to my office. Together we will decide if my approach is a good match for you, and whether you would benefit from individual or group counseling.
Individual counseling sessions are 50 minutes and usually take place weekly. We will focus on the process of ending overeating and weight concerns, as well as other topics that are important to you.
Group sessions meet weekly for 90 minutes. Since many people with overeating and weight issues feel alone in their struggles, the group is a wonderful place to get – and give – support as you work on ending the deprivation of diets, becoming an attuned/intuitive eater, and other topics such as body image, exercise/movement, health and wellness.
For more information – and to get started – contact Judith at 847-267-1200.
ATTUNED EATING GROUP
Does this describe you?
- You have been on at least one diet and regained the weight
- Eating and guilt go together
- Your mental energy is frequently taken up by thoughts of food and weight
- Eating has little or nothing to do with physical hunger
- The number on the scale determines whether you will have a “good” or “bad” day
- You believe that your life will be better when you become thinner
If you have been on at least one diet, lost and regained the weight, and are in the process of becoming aware that the failure is not your fault, you are a diet survivor!
It’s time to reclaim your life. Imagine:
- No longer spending your mental energy worrying about what you eat
- Feeling in charge of your eating
- Putting food in its proper place as a means of satiation and pleasure
- Being able to stop when you are full
- Creating acceptance and practicing self-care
Imagine the freedom!
This group meets on Wednesday evenings in Skokie. For more information please call 847-267-1200 or email email@example.com